Re: Don't understand behaviour of Solve[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58570] Re: [mg58554] Don't understand behaviour of Solve[]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 From the documentation:

Solve gives generic solutions only. It discards solutions that are
valid only when the parameters satisfy special conditions. Reduce
gives the complete set of solutions.

(The meaning of generic is left a bit vague but basically solutions
are called generic if they are valid for infinitely many values of
the parameters and not valid for at most finitely many.)

So, for example:

Solve[{x + y == 3, x - y == 1}, {x, y}]

{{x -> 2, y -> 1}}}

while

Solve[{x + y == 3, x - y == 1}, x]

{}

The second set of equations has a solution for only when the
parameter y is 1, so the set of generic solutions for x is {}.
Note that

Reduce[{x + y == 3, x - y == 1}, x]

Out[7]=
y == 1 && x == 2

Here is another example illustrating the same thing:

Solve[Exp[x]*a == 2*Exp[x]*a, x]

{}

but

Reduce[Exp[x]*a == 2*Exp[x]*a, x]

a == 0

On the other hand:

Solve[x/a == 2*x/a, x]

{{x->0}}

This time the answer is valid only when a !=0

Reduce[x/a == 2*(x/a), x]

x == 0 && a != 0

but Solve ignores this because it only gives a "generic" answer.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan