Re: Don't understand behaviour of Solve[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58587] Re: Don't understand behaviour of Solve[]
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 04:07:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Oliver,
Mathematica can not know what you consider to be a parameter and what a
variable. If you do not specify a variable Mathematica takes it for a
parameter. But then you have an overdetermined system without a generic
solution. If you want the solution only for a fraction of variables you
have to tell Mathematica to eliminate the rest by specifying a third argument.
Example:
Solve[{x + y == 3, x + 2 y == 5}, {x, y}]  gives {{x -> 1, y -> 2}}
Solve[{x + y == 3, x + 2 y == 5}, {x}] gives {} because Mathematica takes y now
as a parameter, not  a variable. You have 2 equations for 1 variable
that do not have a generic solution. A solution only exists for a
special value of y.
If you only want a solution for x, you must tell Mathematica by the third
argument:
Solve[{x + y == 3, x + 2 y == 5}, {x}, y]  gives {{x -> 1}}

sincerely, Daniel