"Many Digits" Friendly Competition 2005

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58833] "Many Digits" Friendly Competition 2005
  • From: Freek Wiedijk <freek at leto.nospamplease.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

             THE "MANY DIGITS" FRIENDLY COMPETITION 2005

            Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands

                       Call For Participation

               <http://www.cs.ru.nl/~milad/manydigits>

 In the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences at Radboud
 University Nijmegen we will organise a friendly competition/benchmark
 session for investigating the state of the art in the various
 implementations of exact real arithmetic. The event will be held on
 October 4th 2005, in conjunction with the Small TYPES workshop on
 Constructive analysis, types and exact real numbers
 <http://www.cs.ru.nl/fnds/typesreal/>.

 The event will be akin to those held in CCA00
 <http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csjens/pdf/resart.pdf> and CCA2002
 <http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~mueller/cca2002/>. All the
 interactive software packages capable of handling arbitrary precision
 arithmetic on elementary functions are invited to
 participate. Moreover all libraries for handling arbitrary precision
 arithmetic in any programming language are welcome to participate
 provided that the participant writes a suitable interface/program.

 The participants can choose to attend the event at Nijmegen, or they
 can choose to participate remotely via Internet.

 Friendly Competition

  The friendly competition consists of giving a solution to a set of
  problems that are posed by the organisers shortly (few hours) before
  the event. The problems cover the minimum abilities of a system
  capable of handling the elementary real functions and are expected
  to ask for a large (>=10,000) number of digits. An example of a
  problem that might be in this set is to calculate the first 10,000
  digits of sin(sin(1)).

  A set of `practice problems' can be found on the website of the
  competition
  <http://www.cs.ru.nl/~milad/manydigits/sample_questions.php>.

  The solutions consist of the input needed to generate the answers to
  the problems plus the answers themselves. The competition criteria
  will be the accuracy (correctness) of the solution and the time
  needed for producing the solution. Apart from this, we will also
  compare the other aspects of the solutions (such as memory usage and
  readability and length of the input code) to give a better
  comparison.

  On the day of the competition the solutions will be executed by
  participants on one specific machine at the event site, under either
  Debian/GNU Linux or Windows XP.

  A more detailed description of the setup and format of the
  competition can be found on the website of the competition
  <http://www.cs.ru.nl/~milad/manydigits/rules.php>.

  The outcome of this friendly competition is expected to give a
  comparison in performance of the systems that chose to participate
  for the selected problems.

 Remote Participation

  In case of remote participation, the participants will receive the
  set of problems by email. Then they will be given the opportunity to
  log into our local machine and perform their solution.

 Systems, Packages and Libraries

  Those who wish to participate in the Friendly Competition are
  expected to provide the software necessary for their solutions, so
  it can be run on the machine used for the competition.

 Schedule

    * August 26th    deadline for registering for the competition
    * August 29th    final list of registered participants on the web
    * September 23rd timings of the practice problems for the
                     registered participants posted on the web
    * October 4th    competition

 Registration

  If you are interested in participating in the event we will be happy
  to hear from you:

   1.Team name, name and email of contact person(s) and the platform
     your system needs to run (GNU Linux or Windows XP).

   2.Whether you plan to come to the meeting or whether you would like
     to participate remotely.

  We would prefer that participants (especially those whose system
  requires Windows) to send their intention to participate before
  August 26th, 2005.

  Please register by sending mail to <manydigits at cs.ru.nl>.

 Best Regards,

 Local Organisers: Milad Niqui and Freek Wiedijk