LegendreP of order = -1

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58936] LegendreP of order = -1
  • From: "symbio" <symbio at>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:21:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm trying to solve an electrodynamics problem in spherical coordinates and
need to use Legendre Polynomials.  Can anyone tell me what is the correct
mathematical value for LegendreP[-1,1] supposed to be?  Is it +1 or -1, and
more importantly WHY? I have a math book here which says it should be -1,
but Mathematica gives +1, so which is correct?

So the question is: LegendrePolynomial[n = -1, x = 1] = ???