Re: Re: Mathematica 5.2: The 64-bit and multicore release

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59008] Re: [mg58866] Re: Mathematica 5.2: The 64-bit and multicore release
  • From: Devendra Kapadia <dkapadia at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:03:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> "Wolfram Research" <newsdesk at wolfram.com> wrote in message
> news:dbnj2n$hpn$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>>

>> * New algorithms for symbolic differential equations
>
> hello;
>
> How can one find more about the above?
>
> I have 5.2 myself and under 'what is new in 5.2' it does not say any
> more than the above.
>
> Is there a command in Mathematica which lists all the new functions
> added given a version number? i.e. how can I find a list of all the
> new functions in 5.2?
>
> I know each function help page mentions which version the function was
> added, but in that case one needs to know the function itself to start
> with, and I do not really want to sit look at each function in the
> help browser.
>
> Can Mathematica release notes be more detailed?
>
> Nasser

Hello Nasser,

The feature "New algorithms for symbolic differential equations" refers
to new methods for solving higher order linear differential equations using
the kernel function DSolve in Mathematica 5.2.

These developments are a follow-up to the new techniques for solving
first order and second order linear ODEs using DSolve in Mathematica
5.1.

To be more specific, DSolve can now identify and solve the following types
of higher order ODEs:

    1. Equations of arbitrary order which are symmetric powers of
       linear second order ODEs. The solutions of such equations can
       be written in terms of the solutions for the corresponding
       second order ODE.

   2. Fourth order ODEs which are symmetric products of pairs of
      linear second order ODEs.

   3. Equations of higher order which can be factored into lower order
      ODEs.

A notebook prepared by myself a few months before the release of
Mathematica 5.2 with details about these new additions to DSolve is
now available at

    http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/5702/

Sorry for the delay in replying to you (I have been away for the
last few days).

Sincerely,

Devendra Kapadia.
Wolfram Research, Inc.