Re: Operating with binary numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59075] Re: Operating with binary numbers
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:26:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Wishmaster" <wishmaster at imaginary.marreka.no-ip.com> wrote in message
news:dc77gl$k5p$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hello,
>
> I found that you can represent binary numbers in Mathematica with this:
>
> binary = 2^^110110101010111010
> 223930
>
> And BaseForm[binary, 10] returns the number in decimal form
>  223930
>
> I'd like to know if is there some function to test if a given bit of the
> binary number is on, and to do operations like "shifting" the binary
> number.
> I looked at the help but can't find anything.
>
> I use Mathematica 5.0 on Windows XP.

To test whether a bit is on, use BitAnd. The following tests the last 5
digits of binary:

In[7]:=
Positive[BitAnd[binary,2^{4,3,2,1,0}]]

Out[7]=
{True,True,False,True,False}

For shifting binary numbers, you may use the BitShift* functions in the
Developer` context:

Developer`BitShiftRight
Developer`BitShiftLeft

Carl Woll