Mathematica: Assistance requested.

Hi,

I am trying to learn Mathematica running under suse linux version 7.2. Any
assistance with the following would be much appreciated:

(1) How do I start Mathematica from the linux command line so as to get only
the plain text command line interface ?

(2) I have a function defined in a file ftest.m. I am reading this in with
the command: <<ftest.m However, this function prints locally defined
variables with dollar signs followed by a number. It's not clear how to get
rid of this ?

(3) How can one use contexts/packages/etc to get rid of the problem in (2)
above ? How is the package read in ? Are there some advantages in using
packages (even for one function) compared to simply defining a function in a
.m file ?

Thanks very much.

Constantine Frangos.