Re: Re: Complex Oddity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57650] Re: [mg57631] Re: Complex Oddity
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Jun 2, 2005, at 5:17 AM, jfeth at azlink.com wrote:

> f=E^(I*d)
>
> In[1]:=
> f*Conjugate[f]
>
> Out[1]=
>  E^ (I*d - I*Conjugate[d])
>
> In[2]:=
> Intensity[expr_]:=
> TrigReduce[ExpToTrig[expr*TrigToExp[ComplexExpand[Conjugate
> [ExpToTrig[expr]]]]]]
>
> In[3]:=
> Intensity[f]
>
> Out[3]=
> 1

In Mathematica 5.0 I get

In[1]:=
ComplexExpand[E^(I d) Conjugate[E^(I d)]]
Out[1]=
1
In[4]:=
f = E^(I d);
ComplexExpand[f Conjugate[f]]
Out[5]=
1

Is the actual expression you're working with different?

> 1) exactly what mathematical elegance (or utility)
> is gained by Mathematica's assumption that every variable is always
> complex

Because that's the most general case and the most general case is
always mathematically appropriate while the special cases require the
user to identify that the case is special.  Substituting values into
the general expression will result in the same value as the special
case anyway so there is no problem.