Re: Mathematica equivalent complexplot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57896] Re: Mathematica equivalent complexplot
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 04:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

raf . wrote:
> This is a newbie question, I suppose. I've read as much as I can but cannot
> find a straight forward way to implement the complexplot in
> Mathematica 5.
> An example call could be complexplot(sin(x+i),x=-Pi..Pi) where sin(x+i)
> is a typical function f(x) that maps real to complex and -Pi..Pi is the
> domain of f, a..b.  Of course, there are various plot options which can
> follow and would be included before the closing paren but I think I can
> handle that.

Hi Ron,

What you are looking for is the _ComplexMap_ standard add-on. The
following lines should help you to start with it (note we use pure
function to code sin(x + i) as Sin[#1 + I]&):

CartesianMap[Sin[#1 + I] & , {-Pi, Pi}, {-2, 2}];

PolarMap[Sin[#1 + I] & , {-Pi, Pi}, {-2, 2}];

Also I would urge you to check David Park's _Cardano3_ package (and
indeed the whole web site which is full of outstanding add-ons for
Mathematica). Have a look at

Best regards,