Re: Re: spotlight escape sequences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58113] Re: [mg58054] Re: spotlight escape sequences
  • From: Garry Helzer <gah at math.umd.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The double quote thing does not seem to have anything to do with
WolframNotebookIndexer. Test by creating  a few text strings in a
text editor and and you get similar results.

Just omitting the quotes as suggested below works for me.

But spotlight, on my machine at least, does not search the Mathematica
Help notebooks. I assume it has not indexed them, possibly because
they are stored somewhere (I'm guessing here) inside the Mathematica
"package". Is there any way to bring them to spotlight's attention?

On Jun 17, 2005, at 2:19 AM, ragfield wrote:

>> Doesn't work for me.
>>

> It seems I was slightly mistaken.  The reason searching for
>
> "Needs["Combinatorica`"]"
>
> was working for me was that I had notebooks that contained this text
> (actually it was Graphics instead of Combinatorica) in the title, and
> titles are apparently treated slightly differently.  I haven't yet
> found a way to do a literal search for a phrase such as this, but I
> will keep looking.  It's entirely possible that Spotlight completely
> ignores quote characters since they're not part of words and the quote
> character is part of the Spotlight query language syntax.
>
> What seems to work the best is to just leave out the quotes
> altogether:
>
> Needs[Combinatorica`]
>
> and if you get a bunch of other types of files you can narrow it down
> further by adding:
>
> kind:"Mathematica Notebook"
>
> to the search.
>
> -Rob