Re: Re: Problems with my

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58154] Re: [mg58115] Re: Problems with my
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 05:21:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi David,

> Even Fortran has a LOGICAL data type!

Yes it does.  And modern versions (> F90) allow users to define their own
types in terms of fundamental data types, improving readability & code even
more.

However, the usual way that this sort of thing is coded in Fortran (usually
F77), is as a series of cryptic arguments to subroutines (eg LinPack);
logical variables are rarely used, but I'm happy to be contradicted.

My point was that while this can be done in Mathematica, a better way might
be to use options & logical variables such as

	PlotJoined->True, PrintOutput->False,

Or even

	ShowWorking->False, Brief or All.

Advantages are readability & ease of use since the options can be used in
any order & in some cases, omitted entirely.

Regards,

Dave.