Re: associative arrays

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58179] Re: [mg58137] associative arrays
  • From: Ed Peschko <esp5 at>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:02:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:05:21AM -0400, Sseziwa Mukasa wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2005, at 3:44 AM, Ed Peschko wrote:
> >hey all,
> >
> >Is there a simple way to make an associative array in mathematica?
> >
> >I noticed that there's a sparse array, but I'd like to be able to
> >use a non-numeric value as key..
> Don't use arrays, use pattern matching eg:
> f[key1]=value1
> f[key2]=value2
> .

that does some things that I want, but I'm not sure if this is a 'true'
associative array, like perl's or python's dictionaries..

Can you:

	a) list the keys in a given order, and iterate over them?
	b) do true, multi-dimentional hashes, where both the key and
           the value of the hash are either other hashes, or lists?

I know you can do ?f to list the values, but I'd like to be able to do
the 2 items above programatically.