Re: associative arrays

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:05:21AM -0400, Sseziwa Mukasa wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2005, at 3:44 AM, Ed Peschko wrote:
>
> >hey all,
> >
> >Is there a simple way to make an associative array in mathematica?
> >
> >I noticed that there's a sparse array, but I'd like to be able to
> >use a non-numeric value as key..
>
> Don't use arrays, use pattern matching eg:
>
> f[key1]=value1
> f[key2]=value2
> .

that does some things that I want, but I'm not sure if this is a 'true'
associative array, like perl's or python's dictionaries..

Can you:

	a) list the keys in a given order, and iterate over them?
	b) do true, multi-dimentional hashes, where both the key and
           the value of the hash are either other hashes, or lists?

I know you can do ?f to list the values, but I'd like to be able to do
the 2 items above programatically.

Ed