Re: Re: can anyone solve this equation?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58186] Re: [mg58159] Re: can anyone solve this equation?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:03:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

>I agree that subscripted expressions look better. However, I run into
>many instances where Mathematica does not treat subscripted variables
>as symbols.

Symbolize in Utilities`Notation` is designed to do exactly that (and
in some display formats, such as InputForm, it automatically actually
uses \[UnderBracket] anyway).

>Notation commands with appropriate pattern matching can
>take care of converting the unbracketed expressions to more easily
>readable ones, but I didn't want to complicate the situation any more
>than it already was.

Indeed -- to even read and digest your expression I used
pattern-matching several times to reduce the expression to something
more manageable.