Re: Sudoku puzzle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58392] Re: Sudoku puzzle
  • From: Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:37:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au> writes:

> The solutions by Fred Simons and Andrzej Kozlowski (previously posted to
> MathGroup) involving backtracking work fine (I did not select their
> solutions for TMJ because it did not show progress towards the solution)
> -- but I wonder if for the sudoku puzzles whether backtracking is ever
> required?

Backtracking is not required because you can (in principle) generate a list
of all possible puzzles, along with their answers.  Then your code can
look like:

  If[puzzle == puzzle1, Return[answer1]]
  If[puzzle == puzzle2, Return[answer2]]

So the question should be what minimum logical complexity (under some
defined metric) is required to avoid backtracking.

Scott
Scott Hemphill	hemphill at alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear