Contexts and DumSave

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54823] Contexts and DumSave
  • From: Geronimo <kalymereauNOSP at Myahoo.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:29:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi

I have a package mypack.m in which I compute a time-consuming expression:

BeginPackage["mypack`"]

expr::usage="stuff"

Begin["`Private`"]

expr = (complicated)

End[]

EndPackage[]

So I am considering to save the expression with a DumpSave["mypack.mx",expr]
inside the package. Thus the full name of the expression is mypack`expr

Then in a notebook I want to load the expression
 << "mypack`"

If the mypack.mx file does not exists, then mypack.m is called and the
expression is computed and exported. $ContextPath is updated with mypack`

However if mypack.mx does exist, then mypack.m is not called (OK), the
expression is loaded from the .mx file and I can quickly have it with
mypack`expr. But in this case $ContextPath is not changed, so the short
name expr is not recognized.

In other words, expr only exists within context mypack`, but the <<
instruction does not load the appropriate context when the .m file is not
called.

Thus my question is: when the .mx file is created within a package, how can
I get the expressions inside without typing their full name ?

I could hack $ContextPath but I guess this is not the correct way to do.

I don't want to compute and DumpSave the expression within the global`
context, which is an obvious solution to my problem.

Many thanks.

Geronimo