Re: Windows version 5.1.1 font bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54818] Re: [mg54810] Windows version 5.1.1 font bug?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:29:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

A correction and some good (?) news....

Correction: the font problem with 5.1.1 I had was different from that
with 5.1.  With 5.1.1, the Front End would force a quit as soon as it
started and gave the Startup Error message.  Whereas with 5.1, the Front
End would start, but the new symbols (e.g., the one for a Piecewise
display) would not display.

In the case of 5.1, and possibly 5.1.1 as well, the issue would seem to
be a problem of getting the new fonts installed when there were existing
ones from the previous version.

The good (?) news: There's a workaround (similar to the one for 5.1):
Delete all the Mathematica ttf fonts from Window\Fonts, then copy back
there the ones in Mathematica5.1\SystemFiles\Fonts\TrueType.

This is only a "good (?)" news rather than "good" news because the
workaround seemed to be necessary, whereas the Windows font issue was
supposed to have been solved in 5.1.1.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305