Re: Outputing a tabular function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54957] Re: Outputing a tabular function
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at arcor.de>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 05:03:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Clifford Martin wrote:
> In some code I've written I output a table. In
> Mathematica I use TableForm in the usual way then use
> columns of data to fill the table. It looks nice in
> Mathematica. But my customer wants to be able to pull
> the file up in Excel.  I've tried various export
> formats but since the tables are made up of columns of
> data that are just lists it writes the lists as rows
> Any suggestions about exporting the data so it can be
> read in an external program and look like a table? (I
> should add that I iterate over many sets of data and
> so there are multiple tables that print out. I capture
> the data in a function that I try to Export). Any
> suggestions appreciated.
>
> Cliff

Hi Cliff,

if all columns have got the same number of rows, simply
Transpose[yourTable] before Export[]ing it. Else for instance:
In[1]:=
 t=Table["col."<>ToString[i]<>" row "<>ToString[j],{i,3},
    {j,1,5+Random[Integer,{-2,3}]}]
Out[1]=
{{col.1 row 1,col.1 row 2,col.1 row 3},
 {col.2 row 1,col.2 row 2,col.2 row 3, col.2 row 4,col.2 row 5,col.2
row6,col.2 row 7,col.2 row 8},
 {col.3 row 1, col.3 row 2,col.3 row 3,col.3 row 4,col.3 row 5}}

Fill each list of the Table with the empty string (or what you want) and
_then_ Transpose[] it:

In[2]:=
 With[{m=Max[Length/@t]},
   Transpose[PadRight[#,m,""]&/@t]]
Out[2]=
{{col.1 row 1,col.2 row 1,col.3 row 1},
 {col.1 row 2,col.2 row 2,col.3 row 2},
 {col.1 row 3,col.2 row 3,col.3 row 3},
 {,col.2 row 4,col.3 row 4},
 {,col.2 row 5,col.3 row 5},
 {,col.2 row 6,},
 {,col.2 row 7,},
 {,col.2 row 8,}}

Now you can export it and the columns and rows appear as expected (at
least in Open Office 1.1.4):
In[3]:=
 Export["t.xls",%,"XLS"];

--