Re: symbolic approximation (formular manipulation)

Zhe Hu wrote:
> A formula in electrical engineering can be simplified after assuming,
> e.g. R1<<R2, within 10% error tolerance.
>
> How this kind of "simplify" or approximation can be performed by Mathematica?
>
> For example, R1<<R2, R2<<R3
>
> R1+R2                      R2                                      R2
> ---------------  --->  ------------------  ---------> ------------------
> R1(R2+R3)               R1(R2+R3)                       R1 R3
>

> I thought about replacing: R1->0.00001*R2, but that would eliminate R1
> completely from the formula (denumerator), which is not favorable in
> some cases.

One answer is to replace R1->R2*eps1 and do a series expansion in eps1
and drop the higher terms. Then do the same with r2->R3*eps2 - because
you have used symbolic small quantities, you can still recover your
original variables.

David Bailey
dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk