Re: Canonical order...

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55039] Re: [mg54989] Canonical order...
  • From: Josef Karthauser <joe at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:24:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:09:31PM +0100, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Note that changing the behaviour of Sort in this way will have no
> effect on the behaviour of Times.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the more basis question is one of canonical order.  Functions
(like Times) that are attributed with Orderless reorder their arguments
according to some form of canonicalisation.  In my case I have a
data-type where I have a different idea of the canonical than mathmatica
has and I was wondering how to influence mathematica in deciding when
things are canonical.  Is this possible?

Josef Karthauser (joe at
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)
Physics Particle Theory (student)
================ An eclectic mix of fact and theory. =================