Copy As menu command

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55144] Copy As menu command
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:43:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello Everyone,

I'm using Mathematica 5.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.8, and I'm having trouble
copying numerical output cells using the Copy As... command under the
Edit menu.  I can't avoid getting all of the the hidden formatting
codes when I paste into another document such as TextEdit.  I've tried
all of them, and in particular, Plain Text, Formatted Text, and Text
(add white space) but I still get all of the gibberish.  I can copy as
PICT but that's no good because I need to be able to format later on.
Is there any way to copy the results of calculations without having to

For what it's worth, Mathematica's help browser says this:

 Selections can be copied in the following formats:
    Plain Text, Formatted Text, Text (add whitespace), Cell Expression,
Notebook Expression, Complete Notebook, and MathML. Plain Text removes
any information about styles, while Formatted Text preserves style
    On Windows also: Bitmap (BMP), Windows Metafile (WMF), and Wave
    On Macintosh also: PICT, Bitmap PICT, PICT with Embedded PostScript,
and QuickTime.