Re: Sum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55210] Re: Sum
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:28:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi mjumbo,
Auxilliary variables like k in Sum[..,{k,..}] are handled apart from
ordinary variables. Otherwise the following example would give an error:
k=2;
Sum[k,{k,1,2}]
Mathematica does this by taking the unevaluated expression in:
Sum[expr,{k,1,2}] and literally replace all "external" k against
"internal" k's. In your casae it takes x (there is nothing to replace).
Then it calculates the Sum, giving x times Infinity, then it replaces x
by Exp[-k] giving Exp[-k] times Infinity.
If you want Mathematica to evaulate x first before replacing variables,
you have to tell Mathematica by:

x=Exp[-k];
Sum[ Evaluate[x] ,{k,0,Infinity}]

Daniel