Distance from point to set

Hello,

I would like to compute distance d(x,A) from a point 'x' to a set 'A',
(all in R^n, where n=2 or n=3) that is:

   d(x,A) = min ||x - a|| (forall a in A)
   where: n=2 or n=3,
          x is point in R^n, A is subset of R^n
          ||  || is norm (euclidean, max, etc).

Can I find Mathematica function or package for such problem ?

Thank you in advance,
P. Kowalski