Re: nonLinearFit and nonLinearRegress

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55332] Re: [mg55298] nonLinearFit and nonLinearRegress
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:46:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Without data, we have no way of experimenting with your code to solve the speed issue.

We might invent our own data, but how would we know whether YOUR data is meaningfully different for the NonlinearFit you're doing?

Also, we don't know the value of 'B', 'inf' , 'pi', or 'estimateQ', and the definition of h[B] has a botched Method option and lacks a pattern on the left. I suggest converting code to InputForm (under the Cell menu) and copy-pasting into e-mail, to avoid introducing typos.

If b doesn't depend on c, d, and q -- and you haven't told us they do -- then neither does h[b], so the holts function is the integral of a constant over an interval.

h[b_] := (1/(b*Pi))*
     (2*NIntegrate[(x*Sin[x])/
        E^((1/2)*(x/b)^3),
       {x, 0, Infinity},
       Method -> Oscillatory]);
holts[c_, d_, q_] := h[b](d - c)/q;

(I guessed the vales of 'inf' and 'pi'.)

Hence your fit function is linear in d, c, and 1/q. Surely one or both of these would go quickly (for given values of b and fitData):

NonlinearFit[fitData, h[b](d - c)/q, {c, d}, {q, estimateQ}]

or

NonlinearFit[fitData, h[b](d - c)qInverse, {c, d}, {qInverse, 1/estimateQ}]/.qInverse->1/q

I can't test either method, of course.

Finally, h[b] can be computed symbolically for some values:

h[b_] = FullSimplify[(2/(b*Pi))*
     Integrate[(x*Sin[x])/E^((1/2)*(x/b)^3),
      {x, 0, Infinity}], Re[b^3] > 0]

(1/(81*b*Pi))*
   (2*(I*2^(1/3)*Sqrt[3]*
      (b^3)^(2/3)*Pi*
      (-9*2^(1/3)*Hypergeometric0\
F1Regularized[1/3, -((2*I*b^3)/
           27)] + 9*2^(1/3)*
        Hypergeometric0F1Regulari\
zed[1/3, (2*I*b^3)/27] +
       2*(b^3)^(2/3)*
        (Hypergeometric0F1Regular\
ized[5/3, -((2*I*b^3)/27)] -
         Hypergeometric0F1Regular\
ized[5/3, (2*I*b^3)/27])) +
     54*b^3*HypergeometricPFQ[
       {1}, {1/3, 2/3, 5/6, 7/6},
       -(b^6/2916)]))

You should verify this integral in the range you need before using it, but NIntegrate is just as good anyway, as b is a constant in the fit you're doing.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com