Re: filling in an array

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg55362] Re: filling in an array
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:11:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 3/19/05 at 4:47 AM, andreajagger_8 at (dumb_founded)

>How can I input values into an array most efficiently?  I tried the
>code below, but it doesn't work.  The kernel starts working through
>the loop and never gets out.

>Array[b, 10];
>For[i = 1, i = 10, b[i] = i/10]

This code suggests you think Array[b,10] creates an array named b with 10 elements. It doesn't.

As can be seen by

Array[b, 10]
{b[1], b[2], b[3], b[4], b[5],
 b[6], b[7], b[8], b[9], b[10]}

Array creates a list 10 elements where the integers are supplied to b as arguements. So,

will create the array you want. Alternatively,

will do what you want.

Also even if Array did work as you seem to expect, your For loop would not work. To set an indvidual element to a specific value the syntax is either

Part[b,2] = 2 or

b[[2]] = 2