Recursion question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55498] Recursion question
  • From: rbedient at hamilton.edu
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:39:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a set of single step recursion equations that I want to simplify
into a single multi-step equation.  Here's what it looks like:

a[n]=4*a[n-1]*(1-a[n-1])
b[n]=4*b[n-1]*(1-b[n-1])
c[n]=(a[n]+b[n])/2
a[1]=.1  <-arbitrary starting value
b[1]=.8  <-arbitrary starting value

What I'm hoping for is something like:

c[n]=some function of c[n-1], c[n-2]...

I've tried various combinations of Solve, RSolve, Simplify etc. to no
avail.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fairly Newbie

Dick