Re: NIntegrate-FindRoot acting up in version 5.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57012] Re: [mg56943] NIntegrate-FindRoot acting up in version 5.1
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 02:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Deliberately leaving out "fnax" makes it difficult for us to debug your code.

Beyond that, it appears that z, v, c, and r are also undefined. All of them have to be numeric, as FindRoot and NIntegrate are purely numeric functions. We can't tell whether you left their assignments out of the post, or you left one or more of them out of your NOTEBOOK.

Since you say the code ran in 4.1.1 (not with those omissions, though), it's quite possible you need Evaluate wrapped around the first argument of FindRoot, NIntegrate, or both. And you may need to define things in a couple of steps, something like:

Clear[len, f]
len[z_?NumericQ, ang_?NumericQ, b_?NumericQ] = Sqrt[z^2 + (x Cos[ang] + r Sin[
     b])^2 + (-r Cos[b] - x Sin[ang])^2];
f[z_?NumericQ, ang_?NumericQ] := (beta = b /. FindRoot[len[z, ang,
       b] == c b r/v, {b, 0}, WorkingPrecision -> 100, AccuracyGoal ->
80]; fnax)
speed = NIntegrate[f[z, ang], {ang, 0, 3Pi/2, 2Pi}, WorkingPrecision -> \
80, AccuracyGoal -> 9]

In version 5, it's sometimes more important to prevent non-numeric evaluation, and that's what the patterns above accomplish.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com