Re: Mathematica Notebook Organiztion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57112] Re: Mathematica Notebook Organiztion
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 07:06:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

AES,

Surely nobody learns all of Mathematica - not even the people at WRI! If
WRI add (say) string pattern matching (as they did at 5.1) that does not
seem to make the language harder to learn for those who are not
interested in string manipulation.

Languages such as Fortran have indeed become much more complex for the
average programmer, but that is the result of adding whole chunks of new
syntax and pulling stuff in from other languages - producing a muddled
end result. If Mathematica started to do the same - and, for example,
tried to become OO - I would feel concerned.

In my experience most programming effort is wasted on the interfaces
between different software environments because concepts in one
environment don't quite map onto those in another. If the modern
Mathematica reduces the need for that kind of work, that must be beneficial.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk