Modifying displayed form of an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57127] Modifying displayed form of an expression?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a number of symbolic results which emerge from a Mathematica
calculation in the form

                a  Exp[b]
  f  =  ----------------------------------
              Exp[c] - Exp[d]

where a is "other stuff" and b, c and d are simple sums like b = b1 + b2
+ b3.  By default Mathematica seems to shuffle the elements of b, c and
d in these results such that there will be only positive signs in the
exponents b, c and d.

I want to force Mathematica to display each of these expressions in the
form

                  a Exp[b - c]
               1 -  Exp[d - c]

so that the leading term in the denominator is always one (which will in
fact mean that these expressions all have the same common denominator).
How might I do this?

Note: I only want to force this display of each expression _once_, when
I first calculate it, and I'm willing to do some handwork on each
expression to accomplish this.  Thus, I don't need some sophisticated
general tool, just a way to do this "by hand".  I've been trying Inputs
like

      (Exp[-c] Numerator[f]) / (Exp[-c] Denominator[f])

and not getting anywhere.

Ideas?