How to get decent quality plots.

I'm using ListPlot to plot some data points and have used options like

PlotLabel -> "64 cycles in FIFO", AxesLabel -> {"S/N dB", "RMS error mm"}

But the graphs come out look pretty awful.

1) The font looks like courier
2) The text on the x-axis starts at the end of the axis, not under the
numbers which is more usual.
3) The text on the y-axis runs horizontally, along the top, rather than
vertically.

Any suggestions for some ways to make graphs look better. I don't want
to have to export the data into Excel!!