Re: How to get decent quality plots.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57426] Re: How to get decent quality plots.
  • From: Dave <nospam at nowhere.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 04:57:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RandSeed[11];
>

> ListPlot[
>   Table[{x, Random[Real, {0, x}]}, {x, 0, 10}],
> Frame -> True,
>   TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Times"},
> PlotLabel -> "64 cycles in FIFO",
>   FrameLabel -> {"S/N dB", "RMS error mm"}
> ]

Thanks, that is a bit of an improvement, but still does not look too
good to me.

The text on the y axis is written in a way I've never seen on any
publication, where there letters are stacked one above the other, like
floors in an office block. Normally the text is written as one would
normally write (left to right), then its rotated 90 degrees on the y-axis.

I hate to say it, but producing presentation quality graphs in Excel is
not that hard (although I much prefer Sigmaplot), but I've not seen
anything in Mathematica that is anywhere near this, although I guess it
can be done.

Can anyone give any examples of presentation quality graphs produced
from lists of data?