Re: least-squares problem: B ~ X.A

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57402] Re: least-squares problem: B ~ X.A
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 04:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Pascal,
If the columns of A are linearly independent PseudoInverse[A]  gives the
left Inverse.
If the rows of A are linearly independent PseudoInverse[A]  gives the
right Inverse.
Now for a 3 x 60 matrix the coulmns can not be linear independent,
however the chance is big that the rows are nearly linear independent
and you get something close to a right inverse.
Further, PseudoInverse[A].A-I and A.PseudoInverse[A]-I with I an
identity matrix of corresponding dimension, have minimal sum of squares
of elements.

Sincerely, Daniel