Creating hyperlinks from text?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg57504] Creating hyperlinks from text?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I select a previously typed-in but not activated URL for an outside web
site, which previously was entered into a text cell in the form,

   <http://www.some.website/stuff/morestuff/>

and then copy this text; go to the Input >> Create Hyperlink menu
command; click the proper buttons; and paste the complete URL (with or
without the bounding <-->'s) in the appropriate box in the Create
Hyperlink window.

For some of these URLs this converts the URL text that was previously
there to an underlined and active link, but for others with no visibly
different appearance it converts the text to an equally active
underlined link which now reads

         <\[SelectionPlaceholder]>

and I don't understand why this is happening. . . ???