2.9.2 How Input and Output Work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61834] 2.9.2 How Input and Output Work
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:39:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

2.9.2 How Input and Output Work of the online help states that:

"When you type something like x^2 what Mathematica at first sees is just the
string of characters x, ^, 2. But with the usual way that Mathematica is
set up, it immediately knows to convert this string of characters into the
expression Power[x, 2]."

What does "immediately" mean in this context?  As soon as I press the '2'
key?  When I evaluate the cell?  If it is the former, then why do I see
"Cell[BoxData[SuperscriptBox["x", "2"]], "Input"]" when I view the
expression?
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...