Re: problem with making boxes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61848] Re: problem with making boxes
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:39:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Monday 31 October 2005 01:09 pm, Chris Chiasson wrote:
> This is the same solution I mailed to MathGroup a little under 40 min
> after I posted the question. :-] Unfortunately, the second email will
> probably not come out until tomorrow :-[
>
> Your solution does work correctly.

Have a look at StringForm in 2.9.6 of the Mathematica Book.  Also look at the
discussion of using the options for number formatting for an example of how
it can be used.

> So, did you figure it out by typing in what you wanted to see and by
> then using Ctrl+E? That's how I did it.

Actually I noticed your post just after I posted my suggestion.  Actually, I
took a much longer route to studying the problem.  The first thing I did was
to copy the output to input and try editing it.  That's when I noticed that
changing adding the comma at the specific location corrected the display.  It
took a bit of doing to get it to look like this:

\!\(\*
  TagBox[
    TagBox[\(MapThread[#1\ (#2) &, {{\(\([\)\(Na\^+\)\(]\)\), \
\[Gamma]\_\(Ca\^\(\(2\)\(+\)\)\), "I", "S"}, {M\/L, "1",
            M\/L, \(\(10\^\(-5\)\) M\)\/L}}]\),
      DisplayForm],
    HoldForm]\)

I don't recall all the steps I took, but at some point I tried messing with
the space around the ")", and that changed the hight of the glyph from
spanning the Fraction["M","L"] to spanning the hight of one line of text.
That's what convinced me the RowBox was an appropriate fix.  It seems
superfluous to have to put such things in a single row of text, but it looks
to be a common practice. It certainly present in a lot of MathML code.

  <mtable rowlines="solid dashed dashed" columnlines="dashed dashed solid">
    <mtr>
      <mtd>
        <mn>1</mn>
      </mtd>