Re: A Problem with the NonlinearFit?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg61870] Re: A Problem with the NonlinearFit?
- From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
- Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 04:09:42 -0500 (EST)
- References: <200510280725.DAA08743@smc.vnet.net> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
It is the error in the *physical* quantity that should be minimized. So, usually it is not the log space minimization. Kevin Chris Chiasson wrote: > I think both regressions are correct. The reason you get different > numbers is that a regression minimizes the total square error. > Minimizing the square error in the log space is not the same as > minimizing the square error in the non log space. > > Does anyone have a kind of follow up or corollary to this? Eg, what do > people normally do in this situation? >