Re: How was this typed?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61855] Re: How was this typed?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 04:09:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> How did the author type this code? Would this have all been done in "Show
> Expression" mode?  I'm beginning to wonder if people who do a lot of
> authoring in Mathematica spend a good deal of their time looking at
> notebooks in whatever-you-call-thisForm.  Would that be a correct
> assumption?
>
> Cell[BoxData[
>     FormBox[GridBox[{
>           {Cell[TextData[{
>               StyleBox["StyleForm[", "MR"],
>               StyleBox["expr", "TI"],
>               StyleBox[",", "MR"],
>               " ",
>               StyleBox["options", "TI"],
>               StyleBox["]", "MR"],
>               " "
>             }]], Cell["print with the specified style options "]},
>           {Cell[TextData[{
>               StyleBox["StyleForm[", "MR"],
>               StyleBox["expr", "TI"],
>               StyleBox[",", "MR"],
>               " ",
>               StyleBox["\"", "MR"],
>               StyleBox["style", "TI"],
>               StyleBox["\"]", "MR"],
>               " "
>             }]], Cell["print with the specified cell style "]}
>           },
>         ColumnAlignments->{Right, Left}], TraditionalForm]],
> "DefinitionBox",
>   GridBoxOptions->{RowSpacings->0.4,
>   RowLines->False},
>   CellTags->"S2.9.9"]
Hello,

I don't think working with unformatted cell expressions would be an
efficient way to author anything, but unformatting is useful to find out
how something is constructed.

At its simplest level, you could put all that mess inside a CellPrint to
create a program that creates the cell in question - then you could
start replacing bits of the expression by stuff you calculate, and maybe
make the code accessible from an extra menu item or a palette so you can
conveniently run the code while you are inputting another document.......

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk