Re: Re: Exporting notebooks to xml (cnxml)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61876] Re: Re: Exporting notebooks to xml (cnxml)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 04:58:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

G. Raymond Brown wrote:

> Thanks, Steven,
>
> I will follow your tips and redirect my efforts.  I was afraid the answer
> might be something like this.  My task is not _really_ what Mathematica
> is about.

I believe Mathematica could, and should, do a much better job of supporting
the kind of task you are working on.  In particular, I believe that the
Mathematica FrontEnd has all the ingredients to be a very good XML editor.
Currently the underlying document structure is something akin to LaTeX.
I've read much, if not all of the W3C Cascading Stylesheet Recommendation,
as well as the Document Object Model Recommendations, and much of the XML
material as well.  After reading the sections in The Mathematica Book on
styles and grid layouts, I am convinced it has most, if not all of the
underlying capability to support XML+CSS.  I'm really quite surprised it
doesn't.

I hope that changes.  Right now, I'm jumping back and forthe between XEmacs
and Mathematica to compose mathematical text.

--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...