Defining variables in $UserBaseDirectory/init.m

Can I define my own variables in the startup init.m file?  I tried by simply
putting a variable assignment at the end of the file, and the result was
that Mathematica erraced the entire contents of the file.
--
The Mathematica Wiki: http://www.mathematica-users.org/
Math for Comp Sci http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/math/bmwcs/master.html