Re: Re: Re: Types in Mathematica

I fully agree with Andrzej,
From my past experience, I used to program with

general programming
Pascal (1983)
Basic (1984)
Fortran (1986)
C (1988 )
C++ (1997)

and in addition two types of Assembly languages: X86 (1987-2000) and PowerPC
(2000-2003).

I also used other technical computing software extensively since 1986
I started using Mathematica in 1993.

When Java gained popularity, I decided to end this madness of chasing after
programming fashions and finally decided to see in which environment I get
the best cost (programming time) to performance ratio and use a single
environment that will suite my needs as a professor at the university:
Symbolics, reach set of functions for technical computing, advanced
graphics, advanced programming and smooth mixing of code and typesetting.
Mathematica is the BIG winner from my perspective.
Since then I stopped using any other software and I really do not miss any
of them.
even tasks that I used to do with Excel find their way to be Mathematica
notebooks since it takes me less time to type some commands then clicking
and dragging in Excel (or alike).

Of course the decision may be different for a person with other goals or
needs.
During the time I never found OOP helpful for having high Mathematica
programming skills. Any programming task needs a specific programming type:
procedural, functional, pattern matching, etc. Experienced programmer
usually find himself using all this variants in a single Mathematica
notebook of package, since after all, performance is of great importance,
and as we have seen, different approaches perform differently.
However, if one does not control all the programming styles in Mathematica,
he still can do a lot, much more than with a limited knowledge in C++ for
example. isn't it?

yehuda