permutations

Dear Group:
  If I do for example:
  Permutations[{x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9,x10,x11,x12}],
  my computer runs out of memory.
  This is not such a poor computer.  Actually, I would need to do permutations of lists of Length 20, perhaps 25.  I am aware these calculations are big (Length[x]!), but I wonder if there is some way around the problem. Compilating Permutations? But then how? Can somebody help me?
  Francisco Gutiérrez