Re: permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62450] Re: permutations
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:33:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Francisco,
The number of permutations can easily be calcultaed by n!. For n=20 this
gives a number of the order of 10^18. You will certainly not be able to
store this in the near future.

What can you do? Although I can not imagine what you want to do with so
many permutations, you could still use: NextPermutation from the
package: DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`. This will give you one permutation
at a time. Of course, it will take some patience to go through all
permutations!

Daniel