Re: Re: Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62518] Re: Re: Types in Mathematica
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:39:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> On Thursday 24 November 2005 17:35, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>
>> Well, this is obviously something that can't be tested and will have
>> to remain just a matter of opinion. Personally, however, I would say
>> that to become a good Mathematica "programmer" in my sense, it is
>> better to spend the 8 years on learning subjects such as
>> computational commutative algebra, numerical analysis etc. than to
>> "waste them" on learning "the tricks of the trade" of other
>> programming languages, which are rather different form the "tricks of
>> the trade" of Mathematica.
>
> This relates to a long-held opinion of mine which is.  The first step to
> writing code well is to have something to say.

There is also something to be said for not posting to usenet with low blood
caffein.  I offer my apologies for the atrocious grammar and editing in my
The Mathematica Wiki: http://www.mathematica-users.org/
Math for Comp Sci http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/math/bmwcs/master.html
Math for the WWW: http://www.w3.org/Math/