Re: SugarCube

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62527] Re: [mg62460] SugarCube
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:40:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Friday 25 November 2005 07:55, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 25 Nov 2005, at 16:24, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > In a fresh session I can type Names["SugarCube"] and get a hit.
> > If  I type
> > Information[SugarCube], all I get is
> >
> > In[3]:= Information[SugarCube]
> > System`SugarCube
> >
> > Attributes[SugarCube] = {Protected}
> >
> > Do I want to know what SugarCube is?
>
> I suspect this is something related to GroebnerBasis, more exactly to
> the "choice of strategy" in the Buchberger algorithm. I have seen
> phrases like "sugar cube' and "sugar flavour" in this context. I
> might be completely wrong, but if I am right than Daniel Lichtblau
> can explain  this (as he would  then surely be the person who put
> SugarCube into the System context).
> But then I may be totally off the mark.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

I wonder how similar that is to how Icon is used.  Many years ago, I learned
about something called "goal directed evaluation".  That was in the context
of using the Icon programming language.

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/index.htm

I have not looked at Icon since, but I suspect there may be some surprising
parallels between Icon and Mathematica. Not that I'm going to drop everything
and start playing with Icon right now.

Steven