Re: Re: Re: Multicore Calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60880] Re: [mg60862] Re: [mg60809] Re: [mg60769] Multicore Calculations
  • From: Jeff Bryant <jeffb at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

   Mathematica on Linux-x86-64 supports multithreading on multicore and
  multiprocessor systems. You can set the number of threads with the
OMP_NUM_THREADS variable, eg a value of 1 will disable threading and a
value of 4 will use three threads. By default Mathematica uses all
processors (physical or virtual) listed in /proc/cpuinfo. None of  this
changes the fact that BLAS level 1 and 2 operations don't  parallelize well.

-Jeff