How to "search" in a matrix?

I have this matrix:

matr = {{a, b, 1}, {c, d, 2}, {e, f, 3}}

I'm trying to do a "search" in a matrix. The "real" matrix will contain strings.
How to "search" for a given value in a matrix and return all lines that have it?

'Select' seems to handle only lists - and this would require a
Flatten, probably making my code too complicated and maybe slow (the
real matrix will contain something like 100 elements - weather data).

Thanks.