Re:A programming puzzle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60889] Re:[mg60810] A programming puzzle
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgoldberg at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 01:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello again,

     First of all, thanks to those who were kind enough to try my
little puzzle.  I don't think its worth too much time, but I will
elaborate a bit on what I have in mind by elegant.
     Some years ago, at the annual Mathematica convention in Urbana, someone
sponsored a contest with prizes  for the "best" solution to a
programming problem.  One of the puzzles had to do with transforming
a list of zeros and ones into a significantly shorter list containing
the same information but in more compact form.  This process is now
automated by the command Encode (I believe).  I was new to Mathematica at the
time and was very impressed by the ingenuity shown by the experts.
I was hoping that my problem which is in essence a transformation by
summation-by-parts might be amenable to a similar stroke of
programming brilliance.
     As I mentioned in my first post, the problem is relatively easy
to do by straight-forward, some might say brute force, methods.
     In any case, thanks again.  Always a pleasure to see how many of
you guys are willing to spend time to read our questions and respond
with insightful ideas.

Jack