Re: Globally limiting precision or accuracy

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61024] Re: [mg61010] Globally limiting precision or accuracy
  • From: jmt <jmt at>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 02:48:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

- I don't think reducing $MachinePrecision below the default value for your
workstation will improve speed, since calculation are probably done using the
floating-point capabilities of your cpu ;

- Check if you ever do use extended precision numbers ;

- Try to use integer arithmetic instead of floating point arithmetic ;

- Check for useless calculations, e.g. computation involving euclidian
distance can generally be performed on Power[distance,2], taking a square
root is useless.