Re: surface intersection

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61165] Re: surface intersection
  • From: "Scout" <mathem at>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:19:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"David Turner" <dturner at> news:did2rf$qdh$1 at
> Hello,
> I wish to plot the intersection of the surfaces x = Sqrt[2 - y^2] and z =
> Sqrt[2 - y^2] which lies in the first octant.  I wish for the plot to be
> limitd to only the intersection.  My best attempt is
> ParametricPlot3D[{{Sqrt[2-t^2+0.00001], t, u}, {u, t,
> Sqrt[2-t^2+0.00001]}},
> {t, 0, Sqrt[2]}, {u, 0, Sqrt[2]}, ViewPoint -> {2.75, 2.4, 1}];
> However, this shows more than the intersection
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance.

Hi David,
if you are interesting in more advanced graphic problems
you have to download the DrawGraphics package from David Park's web site:

and then follow the link at Gorni's web page:

to download the CurvesGraphics package that is integrated with DrawGraphics;
it implements, by the other, the SurfaceIntersectionPlot3D[] command.
I hope it helps you.