Solving Diophantine Equations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61185] Solving Diophantine Equations
  • From: "Diana" <diana53xiii at>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:42:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Math group,

I am trying to start doing numerical solving of Diophantine Equations. I
want to do extensive calculations, but the kernel aborts for lack of memory.

For example, the following command aborts midstream:

Table[If[(x^3-1)/(x-1)==(y^n-1)/(y-1) && x!=y,

I have tried doing many smaller steps, but then I have a very long file of
multiple commands.

Would you make a suggestion as to how to process these solving commands with
large values of the variables?

"God made the integers, all else is the work of man."
L. Kronecker, Jahresber. DMV 2, S. 19.