JLink share kernel from multiple Java Applications

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61498] JLink share kernel from multiple Java Applications
  • From: j michopoulos <john.michopoulos at>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

While one can use the ShareKernel[] call within mathematica to share one
kernel with multiple front-ends as explained in,
I cannot find anywhere any info how to share a kernel that was started
by one instance of a Java App front end via a standard
MathLinkFactory.createKernelLink(...) call, and then be discovered by
another application or instance of the previous App to continue
expression evaluation under the original kernel.

I have created Mathematica actors for the Ptolemy-II system
( that open and close the
kernel around the designated expression evaluation for the purpose of
automating theory generation, but now I need a variant of these actors
that exploit the same environment and that requires that they both
access the same Kernel which makes it a special case of he problem I
described in the previous paragraph.

I would enormously appreciate any help along these lines..

-- john m.
John G. Michopoulos, Ph. D.
Naval Research Laboratory,
Center of Computational Material Science
Special Projects Group, Code 6390.2
Computational Multiphysics Systems Lab.
4555 Overlook Ave. SW, Washington DC 20375
e-mail: john.michopoulos at